Monday, September 28, 2015

Day 1450 :: The [real] Reason I'm Leaving Facebook

Well, hello!

1,364 Days later and I've decided to get back to blogging. I'm not planning on blogging super frequently, but I promise it will be more often than every 1,000 days. :)

If you're a friend on Facebook you probably heard that I'm deleting my account come Oct. 1. A few people have asked me why, so I thought I would explain.

About a year ago I felt like God was impressing upon me to stop spending so much time on FB. I didn't think I could just delete it entirely, so I decided to delete the app from my phone. I thought this would be the perfect fix. I couldn't easily access my account on my attached-at-the-hip-survival-device [aka my iPhone] and figured I would only get on when I got to my computer, which was not even on a daily basis. Well, in approximately 24 hrs I discovered that I could hop on the Safari app and log in to facebook.com and it would save my password, so I didn't have to log in every time [which is a pain, you know.] Back to checking it every couple minutes.

Fast forward about 6 months and I had the most beautiful baby girl in my arms, my daughter Evie. I had to protect her from the world. I asked my family to not post anything on social media until I had. I waited about a day and I felt like I could not keep her beautiful face offline any longer so I posted a picture that my sister snapped when Evie was just 15 minutes old. It quickly racked up almost 180 likes, and I was so proud! She was perfect and everyone could see it.

Throughout these first six months of her life I have watched her grow and she has watched me stare at my phone. And what makes it worse is that pregnancy brain [which I still suffer from, post-partum] has made multitasking impossible.

I told myself I would just log online when she was napping or nursing. That lasted a day, maybe.

I told myself I would not post a lot of photos of her, for her protection, and to not annoy my friends. But 100s "liked" her and they needed the updates.

I could go on... There are so many reasons I have for wanting to get off Facebook, and almost an equal number of reasons why I should keep it. I have been thankful for the networking opportunities it has provided, and I love seeing the updates from all of you. But I got to a point where I would get jealous of people who didn't have Facebook. I thought, oh I wish... I wish I didn't need the constant confirmation of likes and comments to know that I am loved.

When God speaks to me, I usually hear absolutes. But that's not how He deals with everyone. Just because I think I need to be off FB, does not mean I judge you for having FB. You may question why I'm staying on Instagram, and keeping up a blog for that matter, and I'm not quite sure. That does, after all, go against my all-or-nothing personality. However, I know that I have peace [and excitement!] about leaving Facebook, but I don't have the urge to go cold turkey with social media altogether. And it may just be for a season, only God knows.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to check back and keep in touch [you can follow the blog to get notified when I post an update.] I have a private Instagram account for friends and family, so find me there @janamohr.

Sincerely,

Jana

No comments:

Post a Comment